Procedure to obtain a Police clearance certificate
The following actions must be taken in order to receive a police clearance certificate (criminal history record) in California, and they must be mailed to the FBI.
- Download the form and complete it.
- Include your full postal address. If available, kindly include the applicant’s phone number and email address.
- The applicant will get the results on standard white paper via First-Class Mail from the U.S. Postal Service.
- Envelopes with self-addressed stamps won’t be accepted. This includes requests to transfer communication to the Department of State for the apostille procedure and pre-paid Priority Mail, FedEx account information, United Parcel Service, etc.
U.S. nationals may need to present FBI and local police certificates from their home country when seeking permanent residency in Canada and certain other services. The usual need for these police certifications is fingerprinting. Visit for more information on how to acquire the required records.
- The applicant must use the link to the standard fingerprint form (FD-1164) to upload their prints, which are frequently used by law enforcement or other applicant purposes.
- A recent fingerprint card must be provided by the applicant. No copies or previously processed cards will be accepted.
- The fingerprint card must include the applicant’s name and birthdate.
- The applicant must submit rolled impressions of all 10 fingerprints as well as simultaneous impressions of all 10 fingerprints.
- Submit the fees of $32.
- Make sure the applicant provided all the information required to process the request by checking the Identity History Summary Request Checklist.
You can send the form by mail to
The California Department of Justice
Bureau of Criminal Identification and Information
P.O. Box 903387
Sacramento, CA, 94203-3870
Tel: 916-227-6970 OR 916-227-6081
- Application form
- Fingerprint form
- current passport photocopy with self-attestation and two identity documents
- Social Security Number
- Application fee for PCC plus processing fees
- Documented evidence of residence must be presented.
- Must have a valid passport and valid address proof.
- people who spent more than six months living in the USA.
- The candidate must be at least 16 years old. Apply for children as advised by the relevant authority.
- applicants who need a residence permit, a job, or a long-term visa, or who want to immigrate abroad